Author Topic: Michigan-Open-Carry-Elections?  (Read 9080 times)

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Michigan-Open-Carry-Elections?
« on: September 01, 2011, 09:54:01 PM »
Spinklerguy28 or Scot623:

Can you tell the membership when the next election will be and what seats we will be voting on?

Glock9mmOldStyle

Cross posted on OCDO
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?94555-Michigan-Open-Carry-Elections
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: Michigan-Open-Carry-Elections?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 08:31:11 PM »
Bump for info?
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 12:13:34 AM »
Since they are both quite busy and may miss a post here it is best to email them at board@miopencarry.org

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 09:59:50 PM »
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 12:26:45 AM »
Have you emailed them? Or are you going to keep bumping for info here? Why not ask in an email and then post what you find out?

My understanding is it will be some time in Nov. No specific date has been set as of yet that I know of. As for how many positions will be up for election that is spelled out in the bylaws which are posted on the main website.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 04:29:05 PM »
Have you emailed them? Or are you going to keep bumping for info here? Why not ask in an email and then post what you find out?

My understanding is it will be some time in Nov. No specific date has been set as of yet that I know of. As for how many positions will be up for election that is spelled out in the bylaws which are posted on the main website.

Thanks for some info. Sometime in November? That isn't too far off. This isn't a lot time to organize for candidates or for that matter to inform the membership so they may schedule for it should a physical vote be needed. The Bylaws PDF is quite outdated as to who is running things and needs to be updated.

From By-Laws
3.5 Voting Rights. 
Voting rights are allocated as follows: 
(a) Regular and Student Class. Each person that is member of the regular class is
entitled to one indivisible vote on each matter submitted to a vote of the members.
(b) Family Class. Each family that is a member of the family class is entitled to
one indivisible vote on each matter submitted to a vote of the members. 
(c) Supporting and Honorary Classes. Each member of the, supporting, and
honorary classes does not have a vote on any matter submitted to a vote of the
members.

Article 5

BOARD OF GOVERNORS

5.1 Definitions. 
As used in this article:
(1) “Governor” includes the four elected officers of the Corporation. 
(2) “Governor-at-large” means only a Governor-at-large and does not include the four
elected officers of the Corporation’s  and may be created or disbanded at the discretion of
a majority vote of the Governors.  In case of a tie the Sgt. of Arms will cast the deciding
vote.

5.2 Management of Michigan Open Carry Inc. 
The Board of Governors will manage corporate affairs.

5.3 Number, Qualifications, and Tenure of Governors. 
The Board of Governors consists of the Corporation’s   four elected officers.  The officers
will serve a 2 year term.  Governors must hold either a regular or family membership.
Each Governor-at-large will serve for a term of two years. The terms of the Governors
will be staggered so that the terms of two Governors will begin in odd-numbered years
and the term of the other Governors begins in even-numbered years.  The terms of the
Governors-at-large will be staggered so that the terms of two Governors-at-large will
begin in odd-numbered years and the term of the other Governor-at-large begins in even-
numbered years.

5.4 Nominating Governors. 
At its first meeting after its election, the Board appoints a nominating committee. The
nominating committee will consider possible nominees and make a single nomination for
each Governor position to be elected. The Secretary will include the names nominated by
that committee, and any report of the committee, with the notice of the meeting at which
the election occurs. At least fifteen days before any meeting at which the election of an
officer or Governor is held, a voting member in good standing may nominate a person
with the second of any other member in good standing for election to a Governor
position.
The Secretary will give notice promptly to the membership of any additional
nominations. No nominations may be made from the floor at any meeting for the election
of Governors.

5.5 Electing Governors. 
A person who meets the qualifications for Governor and who has been duly nominated
may be elected as a Governor. Governors are elected by the members at the annual
meeting of members. Each Governor holds office until a successor is elected and
qualifies, and may be elected to succeed himself or herself as Governor.

Why not just post a thread under the members only section to get the word out? If one is already there & I missed please advise.

Regards - G9OS

By-Laws Link below

Link: http://miopencarry.org/?q=node/7

« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 08:48:14 PM by Glock9mmOldStyle »
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline hamaneggs

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 05:11:14 PM »

I tried to email them,but my email to the board comes back with"permanent failure" for my email address!
In GOD I TRUST! Luke 22:36 "and if You don't have a sword,sell Your cloak and buy one". Nehemiah 4:17 "Those who carried materials did their work with one hand and held a weapon in the other,and each of the builders wore his sword at His side as He worked."  I AGREE! AMEN!

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: Michigan-Open-Carry-Elections? Update -
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 08:45:27 PM »
I was informed that the vote may take place sometime in November, thanks Autosurgeon.

It looks like notice is to be given no less than 10 days before the election.??? This is strange if a nomination must be made at least 15 days before the election??? See above.

For Election info see Article 5 for the nominating process & Article 6.1 for the four elected seats of: President, Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary.

If you wish to be considered for a seat please pay close attention to Article 5 sections [ 5.4 & 5.5 ]

http://miopencarry.org/?q=node/7 (Public document).

- G9OS
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 09:06:31 PM by Glock9mmOldStyle »
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 10:25:20 PM »
Funny I have no problem emailing them.....

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 11:28:21 PM »
The Bylaws PDF is quite outdated as to who is running things and needs to be updated.

The corporation is only a few years old. How "outdated" can the by-laws become in such a short time?

Several elections have been held without any issues to date. Even the filling of vacancies has gone without any issues at all. Why change something on the whim of a perceived problem? The system works just fine. Let it continue to work just fine.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline jeffsayers

• MOC Charter Member
  • Do you really want to go there with me?
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 10:34:34 AM »
The annual meeting is stipulated to occur in May of each year, which has not happened as of yet. Combine this with the fact that the election of governers is stipulated to happen at the annual meeting, or as soon as possible thereafter. Elections have never occured in May to date. Upon incorporation, a interim group of governors were named with a timeframe for an official election, which occured in November. This was the first election. The November election time stuck.

Bear in mind also that membership did approve a change to the voting rights granting two (adult) votes to family members. The student membership was also changed.

It would be a noble task for the BOD to determine if all future elections will occur in May or November and revise the by-laws if necessary according to their decision. But yes, a revision if definitely necessary even if only to include the member-voted changes mentioned.

As for the seats up for election, I do know the Vice President's original term (Rob took over the existing term) is due this year. If I recall correctly, the Secretary is the other position but don't quote that.
United we STAND!
I open carry for the same reason God gave poisonous animals bright colors.

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 12:04:24 PM »
I would think we can easily add the term years to the contact page when someone who knows tells us who is up and when.  Would be a simple update to keep everyone informed.
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher

Offline Greyh Seer

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 12:13:53 PM »
I would think we can easily add the term years to the contact page when someone who knows tells us who is up and when.  Would be a simple update to keep everyone informed.

This sounds like a good idea.  Simple and effective.
----------------------------------------
-Greyh

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 10:33:51 PM »
Update bump

Link to MOC leadership hierarchy and contact form.

http://www.michiganopencarry.org/?q=contact

Link to MOC calendar, as of today no info or posts on election I can find (could be there, not saying it isn't).

http://michiganopencarry.org/?q=event/2011/11/16/month/all/all/1

If the elections are to be in November; as a paying member, I would like to see the membership given as much notice as possible to insure a smooth process.
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 11:17:28 PM »

The membership has been sent election information as of this hour via email.

Offline emt805

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 04:39:37 PM »
If I join today do I get to vote at the end of the month? Do I have to be at the meeting to vote?

Offline scot623

• MOC Member
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 07:45:57 PM »
Yes you can vote, we do online voting prior to the  members meeting as well.