Author Topic: Black Gun Owners: Rock and a Hard Place  (Read 5762 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Black Gun Owners: Rock and a Hard Place
« on: November 08, 2012, 08:56:24 PM »
You ever wonder why there are so few African Americans at your pro-gun event?  For many shooters in the black community gun ownership makes them a pariah.  They deal with gun bigotry, cultural alienation and a lack of support.  Let me illustrate one case with a guy named Phil and his family...

...Buying a gun that he intended to carry concealed, when and if he was approved to do so, alarmed his extended family.  When he shared some of the things he learned about gun control with his brother-in-law and it started a big family fight.  He was called a sell-out, an Uncle Tom, and blamed for the deaths of the drug dealers across town.  They asked if he had joined the racist NRA.  Phil was in shock at the responses.  The more he talked about what he had learned the more alienated he became.  He did have one ally at the Sunday dinner.  His cousin John the family dissident and racist, who blames everyone for his failures in life, was the only one that agreed he should have a firearm.  His input didn’t help Phil.  Phil is like many Americans of African descent in the gun community, alone and dejected.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/10/24/black-gun-owners-rock-and-a-hard-place/

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
Re: Black Gun Owners: Rock and a Hard Place
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 11:36:46 PM »
It never ceases to amaze me how the segment of our society most adversely affected by gun control is its strongest supporter.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline METL

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 09:47:48 AM »
Good piece.   

Very strange indeed to see people so upset about a man wanting to protect what is his and who he loves.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 10:09:46 AM »
Read on another forum...

+++++

I am a black gun owner, the only slack i get from people (Mom, Dad and Big Brother ) that i cc and not oc they fear that i could mistakenly get shot, or harass by cops.

In the black community many blacks just dont know their rights to carry and ownership, you should have seen their faces when i finnish building my Ar-15 and i did a show in-tell to the family. They didn't know you can own such a thing. It was a priceless Kodak moment.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Black Gun Owners: Rock and a Hard Place
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 12:07:55 PM »
Words of Rick Ector:

Being a gun owner, regardless of your race, makes you a pariah in the eyes of many. Toss in being black, and things get even more interesting. For example, in Detroit, there are many law-abiding citizens who own and carry firearms. Many of which, including several publicly elected officials, are still in the closet. As Pastor Kenn Blanchard suggests, the black community is "still in the dark" about guns. That is due to a lack of knowledge of the racist history of gun laws and being manipulated by the media and so-called leaders about gun ownership is really about - freedom. As such, activists in urban centers of our country definitely have their work cut out for them. The negative perceptions about firearms will fall with continued efforts of urban activists and gun rights organizations. It won't happen over-night, but we'll get there. True story. ;-)
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).