Author Topic: What would you do...  (Read 9141 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
What would you do...
« on: November 09, 2012, 06:32:08 PM »
... if you were in this situation and you were carrying?  Specifically if you were in the position of the guy in the gray shirt.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
What would you do...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 06:40:42 PM »
Since he never looked at me, I'd put 2 in the head at that range after taking 2 steps to get better position.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
Re: What would you do...
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 12:19:36 PM »
Since he never looked at me, I'd put 2 in the head at that range after taking 2 steps to get better position.

+1. Boom, head shot!
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline METL

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 01:14:18 PM »

Why 2?  Pretty sure just the 1 would do the trick... plus, the second could easily pass thru or be a miss as he's dropping like a lead balloon....

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
What would you do...
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 01:22:25 PM »
Why 2?  Pretty sure just the 1 would do the trick... plus, the second could easily pass thru or be a miss as he's dropping like a lead balloon....

In 9mm, I've read multiple times you plan to put 4 in the chest or 2 in the head.

Obviously, if he falls out of aim after one, you stop and assess.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 01:24:08 PM »
6 warning shots to the melon.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline METL

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 02:40:30 PM »
6 warning shots to the melon.

LoL...  that 1911 full auto or are you just that fast before he piles up on the floor?

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 08:20:46 PM »
2 now or 2 later on his way out, but he will not b walking out. Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 10:38:51 PM »

LoL...  that 1911 full auto or are you just that fast before he piles up on the floor?
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 11:11:35 PM »

Good reload.  I can shoot 19 rounds before I'm even reaching though.  I can see I need to practice my reloading....

Offline bignaz

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 11:24:41 AM »
Easy at 12 sec he would of had a .357 Sig round in the left temple then when his body fell pop 2 more in the head fallowed by me me ordering everyone down why i secure the area and check for any other gun men.

Offline METL

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 11:26:31 AM »

That's not YOU, and he wouldn't be putting 6 in someone's dome while they were dropping like a ton of bricks at that rate of fire.  ;)

Cool vid tho.

Q's gun is RIDICULOUS as far as capacity... it's hilarious when he does a mag dump, reload, mag dump...   like energizer bunny...  keeps going and going and going.....

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
What would you do...
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 01:58:51 PM »

Q's gun is RIDICULOUS as far as capacity... it's hilarious when he does a mag dump, reload, mag dump...   like energizer bunny...  keeps going and going and going.....

The XDm is second to none as far as mag capacity. It was this way over two years ago when I bought the gun and still is. Of course, you can go Glock extended mags, but those don't fit in the grip.

When I do an ammo dump I'm actually surprised I run out so fast.

I'd rather throw a +p 114 grain bullet than a sub-sonic .45 rock, but your mileage and preferences may vary. Not trashing the ACP, just saying I like my 9 more.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 02:08:07 PM »
Honestly, thats a tough one.  Sometimes its better to be a good witness than a poor hero!

Seeing how the beginning played out the attacker left plenty of opportunity to hit him with a few rounds, which was my first thought, he leaves his body wide open to you and doesnt seem to even pay any mind to the other person there. However even at the close range you could easily miss your target.  Adrenaline pumping into your system, your heart rate and breathing increasing, tunnel vision, and in the video you can see in just a few seconds he turns and the only thing you see is the "hostage" who is facing you. 

Then he lets them go and calmly seems to walk out.  But do you shoot them in the back?  A jury might not be too keen of seeing someone who has disengaged and leaving being shot in the back, to most, at that point they are no longer a threat as they are retreating. 

Its one of those situations where its great to monday morning quarter back and say you would shoot, but I think in this case unless he killed the hostage and started shooting I would keep my gun holstered and not try to present myself as a threat and just be a good witness. 

As some of you will remember, during the robbery at the internet cafe in Florida the old man who shot the robbers missed his first shot and we was within feet of the intended recipient.  He hit the robber with the second shot, striking him in the hip, but the first shot, from just feet away with no hostage was a miss.  He had the whole body to shoot at, now just imagine trying to hit a moving target that is holding onto an innocent by stander...now tell me if you would still try to shoot.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 02:26:37 PM »
The XDm is second to none as far as mag capacity

Mine goes to eleven.

Er, I mean mine is 20+1, standard mag.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 03:18:55 PM »
Mine goes to eleven.

Er, I mean mine is 20+1, standard mag.

Pea shooter =P

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 03:22:14 PM »
Then he lets them go and calmly seems to walk out.  But do you shoot them in the back?  A jury might not be too keen of seeing someone who has disengaged and leaving being shot in the back, to most, at that point they are no longer a threat as they are retreating. 

It depends.  Is he actively holding someone at gun point or knife point?  Did you reasonable and honestly believe their life was in danger at that moment in time and it was necessary to use deadly force to stop that threat?

If his back is completely turned to you and he is walking out while threatening no one at that moment in time, you let him go.

If his back is turned to YOU and he has a gun/knife trained on someone else....drop him.  He might decide after his robbery deed is done to "clean house" (which would include taking you out or trying).  It's easier to shoot at him when he isn't actively shooting at you.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 04:19:40 PM »
That's not YOU, and he wouldn't be putting 6 in someone's dome while they were dropping like a ton of bricks at that rate of fire.  ;)

Cool vid tho.

That's my trainer. We ran "el presidente" drills. No I can't do 5-50. But I can do good enough that I wouldn't hesitate in real life in that position. The key is training and practice.

Offline METL

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 10:16:46 AM »
That's my trainer. We ran "el presidente" drills. No I can't do 5-50. But I can do good enough that I wouldn't hesitate in real life in that position. The key is training and practice.

I don't doubt that.. I was just sayin 6 in the dome would be a feat bob mundon would be proud of.