Author Topic: CPL class today  (Read 18384 times)

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
Re: CPL class today
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 09:20:57 PM »
But then again, I figured I saved $50 on the class and about $40 on the ammo and did not have to add more wear to my pistol. I highly doubt the other class would have taught me anything I don't already know.
I'm a little OCD really. When I get into something, no matter what it is I research the hell out of it. Until I know everything I can about it. This drives my wife crazy though. lol

OCD and wear 'n tear on a pistol don't go together.  I got over mine.  I clean it and lube it, but scratches happen.  A quality, well maintained firearm can last for generations.  Don't let wear and tear get in the way of practice.

Kudos on how you handled the CPL class.  My instructor didn't like open carry and I too kept my mouth shut.  I should have worn an MOC t-shirt instead of open carrying to my class.  I was told to put it back in my car. ;(  The company's website now states... "If you bring your own gun, please leave it in your car until we go to the range to shoot."
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 09:31:57 PM »
The company's website now states... "If you bring your own gun, please leave it in your car until we go to the range to shoot."

NRA rules forbid firearms and ammo in the classroom, except under specific guidelines used in the class.

Offline jasoncw

• First Name (Displayed): Jason
CPL class today
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2014, 09:43:21 PM »

NRA rules forbid firearms and ammo in the classroom, except under specific guidelines used in the class.
What are the circumstances? We had firearms but no ammo in the classroom for the class I attended. He had us handling the unloaded handguns in the classroom.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2014, 10:33:45 PM »
Right or wrong, legal or not.  They will handle things they way they want in their class it seems.

I'm pretty OCD myself, but as far as wear on my firearm I like it.  It makes me happy to know the barrel is getting the slide wear and a little discolorations from holsters.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2014, 08:29:37 AM »
NRA rules say no live ammo. Firearms are ok but they must be unloaded.

The training manual repeatedly says NO LIVE AMMUNITION.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2014, 06:45:59 PM »
NRA rules say no live ammo. Firearms are ok but they must be unloaded.

The training manual repeatedly says NO LIVE AMMUNITION.

There were firearms with live ammunition displayed in the classroom.  A 1911 with a dutch load of Winchester Black Talons and Glaser Safety Slugs.

Jeff, was the same firearm and rounds displayed in yours?
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2014, 09:33:37 PM »
Off topic, now that BigT is a certified NRA instructor, does this mean MOC will hold classes now?

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2014, 08:15:51 AM »
Off topic, now that BigT is a certified NRA instructor, does this mean MOC will hold classes now?

IIRC, MOC has done a few on the east side of the state in the past. I've been considering doing one on the west side somewhere. If there is enough demand, we can probably get one set up.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2014, 02:51:23 PM »
There were firearms with live ammunition displayed in the classroom.  A 1911 with a dutch load of Winchester Black Talons and Glaser Safety Slugs.

Jeff, was the same firearm and rounds displayed in yours?

There were no firearms in class except for the CC'd firearms the instructor had and the one the EX-cop who taught the law portion had.  I use the terms "instructor, and teaching the law" very loosely.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2014, 04:07:01 PM »
There were no firearms in class except for the CC'd firearms the instructor had and the one the EX-cop who taught the law portion had.  I use the terms "instructor, and teaching the law" very loosely.

This goes against what the training manual says, but I understand not wanting to follow this particular item. Think of it this way. You just advertised a class on guns where there will likely be a few present. What's to stop someone from coming into the classroom and taking the firearms?

Ex-cop? Oh boy. There is an unsettled debate about whether or not a LEO can teach the PPITH legal portion in Michigan. One thing that is clear though is that LEO does not mean ex-LEO. In my experience, ex-LEO's are the worst offenders when it comes to not following the class and state law.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2014, 06:59:59 PM »
My class was a circus of information.  All of it wrong, I tried to let everything go in one ear and out the other because I had learned everything before taking my class and almost everything that was said was incorrect.  But whatever, I was there to get my certification.  Although I don't think I would call anyone that took his class certified as almost everything he said was wrong.  All he did was certify that everyone in his class passed what was in his eyes good information.  Our "test" seemed legit, but the rest of the information....meh.  I need to forget it ever happened, it was a dark time.

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2014, 08:34:00 PM »
And this is why having a 'training' requirement is stupid, arbitrary, and capricious.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide