Author Topic: Need advice on how to improve retention holster  (Read 12429 times)

Offline TexasSupporter

• First Name (Displayed): James
Need advice on how to improve retention holster
« on: April 10, 2014, 10:50:04 PM »
Have a quick question that probably will be an easy answer for a number of MOC members.  I have a Beretta 92FS 9mm 15+1, and an open carry Blackhawk retention holster.  Love them both!  Problem is, when I'm moving or walking, the gun is rattling just a bit with every step.  Its a carbon fiber type retention holster, and the firearm is very secure.  But what can I do to get rid of the rattle of the gun against the side of the holster, as I'm moving about?   It doesn't seem to be the retention setting of the screw, because it doesn't affect or resolve the problem.  I'd like to OC with MOC this coming summer, so need a little help so I'm up to speed before I get there.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: Need advice on how to improve retention holster
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 11:22:17 PM »
Stupid question, but are you sure you have the exact correct holster for your pistol?  I don't carry a Beretta, but my FN fits quite tightly in my CQC.  (Not sure which model you have, but it sounds like the CQC, and I'm assuming the CQC and Sporter are exactly the same fit anyway).  It shouldn't come anywhere close to rattling!  I'm not sure I'd trust a retention holster where your pistol fits so loosely.  You might want to think about a Safariland ALS or SLS  if that's the case.

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 11:34:02 PM »
As Griff said it should not rattle. Now a question for you... are you sure it's the holster & not the mag rattling? If it is the holster...and you are sure it is the right model for your P92f, send it back to blackhawk for free replacement via warranty department.

Or a quick fix that may work (usually used to prevent finish ware) go to local craft store & buy a square felt that has adhesive backing and cut it to fit the holster. Make sure to avoid the internal latch area. ;)
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline TexasSupporter

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 12:59:58 AM »
Not a stupid question at all gryphon, and I do think its the correct one for this particular firearm.  Definitely is not the mag rattling Glock9mmOldStyle, but instead its like the barrel end of the Beretta... it clicks one time for every step I take.  I like the idea of the piece of felt.  I'll also check out those Safarilands gryphon.  Very secure in its holster, but that darn rattle!

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 08:57:43 AM »
Ditch the SERPA, get an ALS ;)
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 09:01:59 AM »

and now the serpa bashing commences.

i love my serpa. more than the ALS. on the back side near the bottom it should say what firearm it is made for. make sure its for your firearm. also the felt should work if it is the right holster. mine has no issues and has a snug fit

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 09:36:36 AM »
The only reason I've ever heard for guns fitting loose are in holsters that are made for a light, and the gun doesn't have the light installed.  Those can fit noticeably looser, but the 92FS doesn't have a rail, so the only thing I would do is double check your holster and make sure it is the correct one.  As SD40VE said, look on the inside bottom of the holster by the muzzle and make sure you have the correct holster.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 09:41:42 AM »
Sure it's the gun/holster? Could it be ammo in the magazine?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline sircapsalot

• Land of the FREE
  • First Name (Displayed): Dj
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 09:43:56 AM »
I have a review of the Safariland ALS holster in the latest newsletter! check it out! (Do a Ctrl+F and search for "Safariland")

http://miopencarry.org/moc_files/publications/newsletter/MOC-Newsletter-3.pdf

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 11:07:49 AM »
my doublestacked mags rattle like a snake as i walk. i just got to the point where i dont care anymore lol. i have nothing to hide or worry about someone "hearing" my mags rattle the rounds

Offline Jeff

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 12:51:19 PM »
Maybe he used freedom munitions re-manufactured ammo and has about 35 primers rattling around in the internals of the firearm.  :2guns:

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 11:56:29 PM »

this

the safariland has a tension screw you can use to get rid of the rattling if it is in fact the gun rattling in the holster

Offline TexasSupporter

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 07:53:14 PM »
Cool, thanks one and all for info on the possible causes.  I didn't know anything about the SERPA issues, versus the thumb release available on the ALS.  So now I'm learning.  I did look at the inside bottom of the holster, and it says "Beretta 92/96" so it is the right one.  I'd be interested in finding out more about ALS and seeing it demoed for me when I'm at an OC event with MOC this summer.  Maybe I will change over.  For now I'll try the felt for a quick fix.  It was only $54 for the holster, but if I can get it where the 92FS is snug then I'll be ok at least for now.  No OC here in Texas yet, and I won't be up in Michigan till June. 

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 08:09:10 PM »
Hmmm...your situation may be unique in that the holster fits both the 92 and 96.  Since the 96 shoots .40 S&W and the 92 is chambered for 9mm, if the 96 is slightly larger, then I could see why your 92 would rattle around in it.  Anyone know if the 92 and 96 are exactly the same size or not?

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 08:52:33 AM »
Cool, thanks one and all for info on the possible causes.  I didn't know anything about the SERPA issues, versus the thumb release available on the ALS.  So now I'm learning.  I did look at the inside bottom of the holster, and it says "Beretta 92/96" so it is the right one.  I'd be interested in finding out more about ALS and seeing it demoed for me when I'm at an OC event with MOC this summer.  Maybe I will change over.  For now I'll try the felt for a quick fix.  It was only $54 for the holster, but if I can get it where the 92FS is snug then I'll be ok at least for now.  No OC here in Texas yet, and I won't be up in Michigan till June.

dont worry phil will talk about his ALS for days. i will urge you to keep the serpa. lol i love my serpa

Offline xxarea83xx

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 12:46:10 PM »
I had the same issue with my Serpa when I first got it for my Ruger SR9. There is a retention screw behind the trigger guard. I tightened mine and it sits very snug now.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 05:42:55 PM »
my doublestacked mags rattle like a snake as i walk. i just got to the point where i dont care anymore lol. i have nothing to hide or worry about someone "hearing" my mags rattle the rounds

My Glock 26 mags rattle.  I remove and reinsert the top round and the rattle goes away for a few days.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: Re: Need advice on how to improve retention holster
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 08:13:20 PM »
My Glock 26 mags rattle.  I remove and reinsert the top round and the rattle goes away for a few days.

^^^This. All mine with the plus 3 extended mag plates rattle. A quick smack stops them for a day or so. :(

I sometimes down load them to 12 rounds and that silences them. The rattle is not a big thing, but it does get annoying after a while. YMMV.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 08:28:12 PM by Glock9mmOldStyle »
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 09:16:53 PM »
Nothing beats leather. Bianchi model 7
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse