Author Topic: VA Gun Owner Being Prosecuted In NJ For Accidentally Bringing Gun Into State  (Read 3829 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
A Virginia CHP holder, Guy Ackerman, inadvertently brought a handgun with him into NJ.

He discovered the gun in his car and rather than leave it in there with valet parking, he took the unloaded revolver to his room and locked it in the room safe. The valet had noticed the gun when it was in the car and told the police, who arrested Guy and charged him with unlawful weapon possession – a felony in NJ.

The prosecutor is refusing to allow Guy an option to avoid jail time, an option that is normally available in such cases.

Guy is really in a tough spot. If he takes the prosecutor’s current “deal,” Guy will spend one year in prison before being able to apply for parole. If denied, he will have to serve up to three years. If he rejects the idea of a “guilty” plea and is found guilty in a trial, he then faces a minimum jail sentence of between five and ten years.

Of course, if he wins the trial, he would be free. However, we are talking New Jersey.

This is why I avoid New Jersey, preferring not to leave America.

Here is a web site that provides details on Guy’s situation, as well as a petition to sign asking that Guy be given the non-felony option: www.wesupportourguy.com

http://www.ammoland.com/2014/04/virginia-gun-owner-being-unfairly-prosecuted-in-nj-for-accidentally-bringing-a-gun-into-the-state/

Offline Jeff

Wow, that is a shame.

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
I would not be hurt if that valet got hit by a car, or came under some other unfortunate circumstance.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
I would not be hurt if that valet got hit by a car, or came under some other unfortunate circumstance.

Yes, but with any victim-less crime.... the state is the complainant.  They don't need the valet's testimony to convict.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline Jeff

Yes, but with any victim-less crime.... the state is the complainant.  They don't need the valet's testimony to convict.

No but he is the one that caused it to go this far.  Without him sticking his nose in someones business then trying to get someone busted nothing would have happened at all.  So I too agree that maybe some karma needs to fall in his lap over this.