Author Topic: This is What Happens to a Disarmed Populace: Starbucks Gun-Free Zone  (Read 7116 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan

“Just before 5:30 a.m. Monday, employees of the Starbucks in the 1800 block of W. Broad St. called police about a suspicious man outside the store. According to police, the suspect then ran into the business, and attacked the two employees,” nbc12.com reports. “Both baristas sustained facial injuries, with the suspect kicking an officer who arrived on scene. A 65-year-old employee is now facing a difficult recovery from serious injuries, and remains at VCU Medical Center in intensive care. Police reported that the suspect stole no items or money during the incident, with the Starbucks reopening a short time later.”

Assuming customers waiting for the store to open were observing Starbucks’ CEO Howard Schultz’ request to leave their legally carried guns at home (thank you, Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America), knowing that the coffee company doesn’t allow its employees to exercise their natural, civil and Constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms, we must conclude that this is what happens to a disarmed populace.

Because this is hardly the first time store employees have been attacked by armed robbers. (Hint: Google “armed robbery starbucks.”) While the company might like to sweep it under the rug, the brutal murder of three D.C. area Starbucks’ employees in 1997 hangs like a shadow over the enterprise’s current “no guns” zeal. Anyway, the store responded to yesterday’s attack:

“Our thoughts and prayers are with both of our employees who were hurt, and their family members during this difficult time,” said Starbucks spokesperson Laurel Harper in a phone interview Tuesday. “Safety is always our highest priority, and we are hoping for both of their speedy recoveries.”

If safety is your highest priority, welcoming legally-armed customers and yes, barristas, is your best bet against criminal predation. As it is for all of us.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/07/robert-farago/happens-disarmed-populace-starbucks-gun-free-zone-edition/

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
Re: This is What Happens to a Disarmed Populace: Starbucks Gun-Free Zone
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 02:10:25 PM »
Best comment so far:

In order to increase security Starbucks is releasing a new line of calming teas that may be administered to angry patrons and would-be robbers and assailants at the nominal price of $40 per cup. Regular patrons may purchase this new product as well to feel warm and fuzzy inside.

New at Starbucks; SecuriTea, try it now! Increase your level of SecuriTea today!

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
This is What Happens to a Disarmed Populace: Starbucks Gun-Free Zone
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 02:45:29 PM »
Let's temporally assume StarBucks didn't try to scare away gun toters -- what are the chances one would have been present for this?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Let's temporally assume StarBucks didn't try to scare away gun toters -- what are the chances one would have been present for this?

Who knows? But some hope is better than none.... :(

One thing is certain: bad guys LOVE no gun establishments. It's makes their job nearly 100% guaranteed to go smoothly. Unless it's a donut shop...then they are playing Russian Roulette. :P
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 03:23:16 PM »
Who knows? That is the greatest deterrent right there.
Carjackings in Florida nearly ceased after "shall issue." Not because everyone was carrying a gun. The carjackers just didn't know who wasn't.
My same position on school, and other PFZs. No need to arm teachers. Eliminate the PFZ and they are no longer a "target rich environment."

Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 02:46:08 PM »
Saw a opencarry.org member claim that a Starbucks in Colorado refused service to him.

Is that happening in MI?

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?123543-Just-Denied-Entry-by-Starbucks&p=2082927
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 03:05:35 PM »
I have gone to a Starbucks within Meijer and had to problems.  I've also sat outside a Starbucks while patronizing a business right next door.  Nothing happened.  The business next door was an ice cream place with lots of kids around.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 04:39:52 PM »
I don't go to Starbucks very often, but I've never had problems at the one in Okemos or East Lansing  (or the ones on the Ohio Tollroad).

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 05:04:27 PM »
Biggby Coffee is a Michigan owned franchise, based in East Lansing, with quite a few locations.

I have never had an issue open carrying at their locations.  The headquarters has never released a statement asking customers to not bring firearms into their stores.  Biggby gets my coffee money.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 08:24:53 PM »
Thanks.
I'd thought the Starbucks policy was leave your politics at the door and keep your wallet open.
That thread at OCDO was the first (and only) time I heard otherwise.

Linux, good to know about Beaner's. Since their firearms policy isn't national news I'd never heard one way or the other.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline Bitz69

• First Name (Displayed): Chris
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 03:01:13 PM »
People blow these topics about Starbucks, chili's, sonic, etc way out of whack, none of them banned guns, they asked you leave them at home.  Doesn't mean anything.  I've carried in some of these places without a problem. I've never had a single issue anywhere in West Michigan. Worst case scenario they ask you to leave and you take your money elsewhere.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 05:42:52 PM »
Worst case scenario they ask you to leave and you take your money elsewhere.
They have already said they don't want firearms in their stores/restaurants, go somewhere else now.  Stop rewarding their bad behavior!

Offline Bitz69

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 07:52:46 PM »
That's just it, they haven't asked me to leave.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 07:32:29 AM »
That's just it, they haven't asked me to leave.
So you expect a personal invitation?

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 10:36:14 AM »
They asked you to leave your guns at home, but you think they mean everybody except you right?
Keep spending money at these places at it shows them YOU AGREE with what they are doing.

Offline Bitz69

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 09:18:01 AM »
They made a blanket statement to please the anti gunners because of the whole issues in Texas, they also said they will follow all local laws regarding the carrying of guns. I carry whichever way is comfortable and wherever is legal to do so.  They can ask what they want, I don't carry as a statement or to cause a issue of the local business ask me to leave that is fine,  I'll just shop elsewhere but I'm not going to shop elsewhere because of a blanket statement by some PR guy in headquarters.  Irregardless my original point was that they never actually banned guns, despite what the media blew it up to be. 

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 09:51:40 AM »
I have stated here before, some business owners have stated that guns are welcome in their stores and restaurants, despite what corporate has said.  However, if some people do not wish to patronize those establishments, I understand.

Offline Bitz69

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 10:38:36 AM »
I agree, it is a choice either way.