Author Topic: DC carry!  (Read 8884 times)

Offline Golden Eagle

• MOC Member
  • I VOTED
DC carry!
« on: July 26, 2014, 09:31:15 PM »
EMILY MILLER: Federal judge rules DC ban on gun carry rights unconstitutional

“We won,” Alan Gura, the lead attorney for the Second Amendment Foundation, told Fox News in a phone interview.  “I’m very pleased with the decision that the city can’t forbid the exercise of a fundamental constitutional right."

Gura said he expects the District to appeal this decision but added, “We’ll be happy to keep the fight going.”

The decision leaves no gray area in gun-carrying rights.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/07/26/emily-miller-federal-judge-rules-dc-ban-on-gun-carry-rights-unconstitutional/
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."

George Washington

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: DC carry!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 10:53:26 PM »
Finally!  This case has been dragging on for FIVE YEARS with no decision!  We've been chronicling it in the newsletter each issue.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 11:18:08 PM »
Hell yeah.

Offline karudin

• First Name (Displayed): Gregg
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 12:37:06 PM »
Definitely about time. Now for all the other state gun bans (some I know are restrictive laws but are effectively bans) to start falling like dominoes.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 07:56:05 PM »
According to the SCOTUS, bans are unconstitutional, but reasonable restrictions are not, so don't hold your breath.

Offline Golden Eagle

• MOC Member
  • I VOTED
Constitutional Carry
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 11:21:40 AM »
...at least temporarily.

"Washington D.C. Police Chief Lanier has issued an order that police will not arrest non-felons who are carrying pistols in the District of Columbia."

"District residents are permitted to carry pistols if the weapons are registered. Those who had not registered their handguns could be charged on that ground,"

http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/2014/07/wapo-confirms-constitutional-carry-in-d-c-3001604.html

According to this with our CPL's DC is Constitutional Carry(of pistols). :woohoo:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 11:39:05 AM by Golden Eagle »
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."

George Washington

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
Re: Constitutional Carry
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 12:49:56 PM »
According to this with our CPL's DC is Constitutional Carry(of pistols). :woohoo:

Although Mr Dunbar had a little run in before word got out :)

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 02:44:00 PM »

Carry On D.C... Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 03:11:24 PM »
pats FB post saying "DC is not OC friendly" said all i needed to know.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 04:18:28 AM »

Dammit!  Do I need to have to go to fb again?

Srsly...who in their right minds visits fb more than once a month?  I have to remind myself to go there to answer questions on the MOC home page because no one in leadership does it.

Offline Golden Eagle

• MOC Member
  • I VOTED
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 08:06:19 AM »
Well DC is OC friendly but cops will be cops. :-\

George Washington

Offline Golden Eagle

• MOC Member
  • I VOTED
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 08:11:11 AM »
Dammit!  Do I need to have to go to fb again?

Srsly...who in their right minds visits fb more than once a month?  I have to remind myself to go there to answer questions on the MOC home page because no one in leadership does it.
QFT and apparently there is a facebook page and a facebook group...       twice the fun :mad:

George Washington

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 01:31:19 PM »
Many times we simply link the f. A. Q.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 02:26:58 PM »
http://gunssavelives.net/blog/court-cases/breaking-90-day-stay-issued-in-washington-dc-carry-case-carry-no-longer-legal/

Stop carrying guns in our nation’s capital if you are currently doing so and would like to avoid arrest.
A federal judge has just issued a 90 day stay in the case of PALMER v DC. A court ruling issued on Saturday struck down Washington DC’s complete ban on carry of firearms outside of the home.
The stay will give DC officials 90 days to put a law into place that will allow for some form of carry outside of the home.
According to the Washington Times,
Plaintiffs in the case, who include three D.C. residents who own guns, agreed to a 90-day stay so the rulemaking could occur. The stay will be in effect until Oct. 22.
Judge Scullin wrote in the order that he granted the stay based on the agreement by the two parties that “an immediate 90-day stay is appropriate to provide the city council with an opportunity to enact appropriate legislation consistent with the Court’s.”
Here is part of the opinion from the recent court ruling striking down DC’s ban on carry,
In light of Heller, McDonald, and their progeny, there is no longer any basis on which this Court can conclude that the District of Columbia’s total ban on the public carrying of ready-to-use handguns outside the home is constitutional under any level of scrutiny. Therefore, the Court finds that the District of Columbia’s complete ban on the carrying of handguns in public is unconstitutional.
Accordingly, the Court grants Plaintiffs’ motion for summary judgment and enjoins Defendants from enforcing the home limitations of D.C. Code § 7-2502.02(a)(4) and enforcing D.C. Code § 22-4504(a) unless and until such time as the District of Columbia adopts a licensing mechanism consistent with constitutional standards enabling people to exercise their Second Amendment right to bear arms.4 Furthermore, this injunction prohibits the District from completely banning the carrying of handguns in public for self-defense by otherwise qualified non-residents based solely on the fact that they are not residents of the District.

Offline Golden Eagle

• MOC Member
  • I VOTED
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 03:28:16 PM »
http://gunssavelives.net/blog/court-cases/breaking-90-day-stay-issued-in-washington-dc-carry-case-carry-no-longer-legal/

Stop carrying guns in our nation’s capital if you are currently doing so and would like to avoid arrest.
The stay will be in effect until Oct. 22.

Oh no... anyone tell Pat?

George Washington

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 04:18:14 PM »

Oh no... anyone tell Pat?
Pat who?

LOL

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 04:54:11 PM »
i think pat is back now.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 07:47:56 PM »
i think pat is back now.
Quick, lock up the women and sheep ;)

Offline Jeff

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 09:34:39 PM »
AS if you having a .40 wasn't scary enough, now you are SE posse?

OMG.  :hide:

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 08:05:33 AM »
AS if you having a .40 wasn't scary enough, now you are SE posse?

OMG.  :hide:

oh yeah. wait til me , pat, randy, lisav are all at the same event! fun times