Author Topic: HB 4009 - Let's get it moving!  (Read 15599 times)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
HB 4009 - Let's get it moving!
« on: January 17, 2011, 12:46:40 AM »
We should contact people to get this bill moving.

HB 4009 would repeal MCL 28.425o.  Thereby making it legal for anyone with a CPL to carry concealed ANYWHERE in the State.  No more PFZs.  This would ALSO clear up ANY question about "legislative intent" of the "CPL Open Carry loophole", making it FAR less of a "loophole".

Therefore, let's make a day to call them -- everyone on the same day.  Here's the plan -- On Thur. January 20, 2011 call as many of these Reps as you can.  If you can't call them all then be sure to call the Chair and Vice Chairs.  Tell them you'd like them to support HB 4009, which is presently in front of the Judiciary Committee on which they sit.  If you get tongue tied, consider saying this:

Hello, I'd like to speak to the staff person who deals with issues related to the Judiciary Committee. (Wait to be connected)  Hi, My name is, (insert your name) and I'm calling to urge Rep. (Insert the Representative's name here) to support HB 4009.  HB 4009 allows lawful citizens who have a concealed pistol permit to carry their handguns concealed anywhere in Michigan so that they can better protect themselves, those they love, and others around them.  I believe this will make us all safer.  I believe if more people in Arizona carried firearms the recent tragedy wouldn't have had nearly as many victims.  I hope (he/she) will consider supporting this bill and talk to Chairman Walsh about bringing the bill up for a vote at the committee.  I hope during that vote (he/she) will vote to send it to the House Floor with a favorable recommendation.

If you are calling Chairman Walsh you can say:

Hello, I'd like to speak to the staff person who deals with issues related to the Judiciary Committee. (Wait to be connected)  Hi, My name is, (insert your name) and I'm calling to urge Rep. Walsh to support HB 4009.  HB 4009 allows lawful citizens who have a concealed pistol permit to carry their handguns concealed anywhere in Michigan so that they can better protect themselves, those they love, and others around them.  I believe this will make us all safer.  I believe if more people in Arizona carried firearms the recent tragedy wouldn't have had nearly as many victims.  I hope Chairman Walsh will consider making this a priority for the committee and I hope he'll send it with a favorable recommendation to the House floor for a full vote.

If it is YOUR Representative that you're calling BE SURE to tell them you are from their district and you'll be watching how they vote.

It was referred to the House Judiciary Committee.  Here's a list of people on the committee so you can easily contact them:

Many of the Websites also have toll free #'s if you don't want to burn your own dime.

Please call, even if your representative isn't on the list.  If you can call no one else, please call the Chairman.  I've done the leg work for you.  I hope you'll honor my work by taking the time to call on Thur. January 20, 2011.  If you can't call on Thursday or you're reading this post after the 21st of January, please call them as soon as possible!

Cross Posted on OCDO.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 12:48:40 AM by TheQ »
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
Re: HB 4009 - Let's get it moving!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 06:20:23 PM »
Called my Rep. Today. Done Deal. Great Move this is what we need next for the Fed's. One day at a time Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline hooch

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 06:56:18 PM »

Offline JSteinmetz

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 07:01:50 PM »
On my calendar!

I'm going to send out a bulk email, as well.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 09:22:44 PM »
bad timing for this bill with the arizona thing so recent. all the gun haters are still spouting off about it.
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 07:18:45 AM »
bad timing for this bill with the arizona thing so recent. all the gun haters are still spouting off about it.

This is why we need to be heard and drown them out. Please call.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline 13mile9

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 06:03:56 PM »
Is anyone suspicious as I am with this bill?  Has anyone talked personally with the Rep. who drafted it, and his intent...or, its future purpose. 

Don't get me wrong...I love the bill.   Just a little concerned.

Could a bill allowing "unhindered" CC be the stage for future legislation to "jack up" OC?   

I'm spreading the word.

Offline venator

• MOC Member
    • My Parents Open Carry book order
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 06:40:58 PM »
To make it easier here are their emails and a sample letter. Modify as you feel fit.

JohnWalsh@house.mi.gov; KurtHeise@house.mi.gov; JudGilbert@house.mi.gov;
kennethhorn@house.mi.gov; PaulScott@house.mi.gov; KurtDamrow@house.mi.gov; PaulMuxlow@house.mi.gov;
BradJacobsen@house.mi.gov; PeterPettalia@house.mi.gov; patsomerville@house.mi.gov; markmeadows@house.mi.gov; bobconstan@house.mi.gov; stacyerwinoakes@house.mi.gov; lisabrown@house.mi.gov; jeffirwin@house.mi.gov; philcavanagh@house.mi.gov; johnolumba@house.mi.gov

Dear Committee Chairman:

I am in favor of rescinding all gun-free zones in Michigan and support HB-4009 . Gun-Free zones do not prevent crime or violence; in fact they encourage just the opposite. I'm asking you to forward this bill on to the House.

Gun-free zones are killing zones. Criminals intent on harm ignore gun-free zones and see them as a place to commit their atrocities with little chance of being harmed by law-abiding citizens. Why, because law-abiding gun owners follow the law? Studies have shown that lawful gun-owners are among the most law-abiding segment of society, committing fewer crimes than even law enforcement officers.

In this country the most heinous and largest mass killings occur in gun free zones i.e., schools, churches, Military Bases and Malls to name a few. What you don’t see are mass murders in gun stores, police stations and gun ranges or other places people are allowed to bear arms. What differentiates these places is that in one law –abiding citizens are denied the inalienable right to bear arms. Criminals are not going to plan an attack of mass murder in a place where people have a reasonable chance of defending themselves.

The murderous and devastating experiment of gun-free zones has run its course. They do not work. Decades of mass murders have proved this time and time again. The time has come to once again give law-abiding citizens the means necessary to take on the responsibility of defending themselves and their loved ones against evil in all public places. Please remove Gun-free zones in Michigan. It's the right thing to do.

Sincerely,
Family book on OPEN CARRY go to: http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/
Looking forward to having more smites than posts.  Thanks all.
The above are my opinions only.  Please seek an attorney concerning all questions of law.

Offline JSteinmetz

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 08:02:03 AM »
To help everyone out, I created two mailing lists that go to the representatives.

mi_reps@miopencarry.org goes to the Republicans
mi_dems@miopencarry.org goes to the Democrats

I know I won't have time to call them all, so I'm calling my rep and writing an email to the rest.  All you need to do is send to these two addresses, and the list will forward them to each senator.

Carry on!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 05:59:26 PM »
Got a reply from Ken Horn
"Mr. Avery,

Thank you for your email.  I support elimination of the no-carry zones, and appreciate knowing your position on the matter as well.  "

Offline JSteinmetz

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 10:10:14 PM »
Got the exact same reply.  I assume he had a form letter set up to send to anyone interested.

Got a form letter from Peter Pettalia basically skirting the subject and saying he was a 2nd amendment supporter, and was looking forward to the bill.

And one more from Jeff Irwin, who says that while he does support 2nd amendment rights, he feels that our current laws are sufficient.  (I already emailed him explaining why they are not.)

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 11:27:45 PM »
I haven't received any other emails back but I did email everyone and was going to call a few people but family issues required my attention will call tomorrow.

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 02:07:40 AM »
To help everyone out, I created two mailing lists that go to the representatives.

mi_reps@miopencarry.org goes to the Republicans
mi_dems@miopencarry.org goes to the Democrats

Thanks for setting that up.... Email sent.
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline hooch

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 09:21:12 PM »
Spoke to 72 rd district rep Ken Yonker yesterday after Cascade Township board meeting. He reported that they just got the information. He wasn't aware that CPL holders can already open carry in most of the PFZ areas openly. Got the feeling he doesn't know MI gun laws. I asked that he supports 4009 and 4010. Will contact my rep Peter MacGregor tomorrow.

Offline yzr

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 08:22:58 AM »
Emails sent to Republicans and Democrats.

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 09:00:46 AM »
I sent an email to my own rep. asking he help support his bill as it goes through the house.  He is a local, and the first Dem I think I have ever voted for at the State level of things.  He claims to be pro gun, not just pro hunting, but for self defense as well.  I have yet to receive a reply, we shall see what his thoughts on the matter are.
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher

Offline old opa

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 09:42:19 PM »
e -mail sent to my reps.

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 07:25:07 PM »
I emailed my rep (Frank Foster) about a week or two ago and he promised to support the legislation.

Offline BailEnforcer

• Facta Probant
    • Forfeiture Services
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 09:29:44 PM »
Ive been away for a while so this is the first Im hearing of this bill and I just sent out the email messages myself since it hasnt been voted on yet.

I am also poking around some of the others bills I see that HR4124 wants to change the definition of a pistol length to 26 inches or less from the current 30 inchs or less!  However under HR4247 if you already own a pistol 30" or less before 1/1/2012 you are exempt fron 4124.  If I am reading these right if you purchase a long gun that is 27 inches or more long when fully collapsed but still dischargeable after 1/1/2012 it will no longe be considered a pistol; but if you purchased it prior to that it is still considered a pistol.  Can anyone say double standard!
The Patroit Act; Turning citizens into suspects since 2001!
-------------------------------------------------
I may not like what you have to say; but, I will defend to the death your right to say it!  Voltaier

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 12:50:06 AM »
Anyone here anything about this?