Author Topic: OC Dinner @ Detroit Blue Pointe Restaurant on Warren Ave. - Mon April 18th  (Read 12957 times)

Offline detroitccw

Venue Change:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=121573241251732

Blue Pointe Restaurant
17131 E. Warren Ave., Detroit, MI, 48224
(313) 882-3653

Monday, April 18, 2011 6:00pm - 9:00pm

Origonal post (edited by northofnowhere to get info out)
Hey Gang!

On Thursday, April 21rst, 2011, "Legally Armed In Detroit" (LAID) will be having its first ever Open Carry Dinner in downtown Detroit, Michigan at the Elias Brothers Restaurant on East Jefferson Avenue.

The venue will be:

Elias Brothers Big Boy Restaurant
7033 E Jefferson Ave,
Detroit, MI 48207

Dinner starts at 6pm.

Hopefully, you will join us!

Rick Ector
http://www.legallyarmedindetroit.com
info@detroitccw.com
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 05:30:22 PM by northofnowhere »

Offline detroitccw

The Associated Press (AP) and Channel 4 have run stories on this dinner:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/27511020/detail.html

Offline DanM

Rick,

Thanks for coordinating this.  Me and Ms. DanM will be there!

Also, I posted this event to OCDO and MGO.

Dan

Offline detroitccw

A MOC member asked me if the management was notified of this event and to post my answer publicly.

Yes, I spoke with and got permission from the owner to get his blessing to have this event at his restaurant. His name is Norman Ina. In truth, I also spoke with him today. It seems that this event has garnered a ton of publicity. I hope he's not getting 'cold feet.'

I am looking forward to a great event.

Offline DanM

I just called 313-259-1360 (the restaurant's number) to express my thanks and that I would be attending.  I spoke with Norman.  After me beginning the call with the thank you, Norman said it's been cancelled.  I was like "Uhhhh, that's disappointing."  He said "the company" cancelled it.  Don't know if he meant corporate higher-ups or he was just trying to deflect from his own decision.

WTF?  Hey Rick, if you sort this out or coordinate to another location, I'll still plan on attending!  If we gotta go elsewhere, let's go somewhere nearby and then drop off all our receipts at Norman's Big Boy.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:25:01 PM by DanM »

Offline detroitccw

Hey Gang!

The story hit the Associated Press (AP) newswire and Norman Ina's co-owner got scared. I had several discussions with them yesterday morning in an attempt to discuss the issue face-to-face. To no avail, they cancelled. I have to respect that, even if I disagree with the reason given: violation of corporate policy.

I spoke with Mr. David Crawford, VP of Marketing with Elias Bros, who was trying to get the event "back on." For the record, it is not against Elias Bros. corporate policy for armed patrons to dine there. It was a knee-jerk reaction by the co-owner Mike Curris.

Undaunted, I arranged to find another location within the city of Detroit limits: the BluePointe Restaurant. The owner is very happy to host this event.

Just so that you all know, it is a restaurant that has a bar. Eighty percent of revenues are generated by food sales AND the bar will be closed during this event. (I know somebody who wanted that question answered.)

Sorry for the mixup - circumstances outside my control let to the date change. It's unfortunate that local management chose to renege on hosting event when details were published in the media.

I hope that you all will attend. I can't recall an OC dinner within the city of Detroit limits in quite a while. It'll be a good time.

Any questions, shoot me a message.

Regards,

Offline scot623

• MOC Member
Is the venue granting permission for those without a CPL to open carry?

Offline detroitccw

Yes. Thank you for asking. I want all to attend the event - with or without a CPL.

Warchild

Is the venue granting permission for those without a CPL to open carry?

And just to CYA...I might suggest getting it in writing.
Venator has a generic permission form that will work.

JMO

Offline DanM

Rick,

Thanks for getting this sorted out.  Too bad you were dealing with some businessmen who flaked out on you.

We'll be there!

Offline detroitccw

I learned a few lessons. The biggest is to get/ask pro-gun people to call and thank the venue for playing host. I think a couple of calls from people who probably never eat there had too much influence in this matter.

In any case, we got a good "back-up" venue to play host. The owner is very pro-gun.

Let's get the word out. Critics claim that we only do the OC thing in the suburbs. We should have decent media coverage to prove them wrong.

Thanks, everybody.

Oh yeah, the AP picked up my new release on the venue change. Things are looking up...

Offline smellslikemichigan

• MOC Member
Yes. Thank you for asking. I want all to attend the event - with or without a CPL.
what scott is getting at, is that we need a definite yes or no from the management for those without CPLs if the establishment has a liquor license...
"I like users who quote themselves in their signature lines." -smellslikemichigan

Offline DanM

what scott is getting at, is that we need a definite yes or no from the management for those without CPLs if the establishment has a liquor license...

I don't see Scott's post, but I see Rob's about permission for non-CPL's.  Rob wasn't asking about yes/no from management on liquor license.  We assume they do have a liquor license, because they have a bar.  Rob was asking about yes/no on permission from owner/manager for non-CPL's to OC there.

Rick said "yes", but Jerry suggests (and I heartily agree) to have them sign the good generic form that Brian has.

Offline northofnowhere

And where it gets really confusing is that scot623 is actually Rob and not Scott.  When Rob planned his screen name out I do not think he intended to be MOC VP with a Pres named Scott.  Then again, perhaps he did and enjoys us all getting confused!
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher

Offline detroitccw

Somebody please email me the generic form so that I can print it and have him sign it so I can post it.

My email address is detroitpua@yahoo.com

Thank you.

Offline northofnowhere

I too think it was Brian (Venator) and shot him an email asking him to email you that form as well.  I could not find a copy of it while searching, but will see that MOC hosts either his copy or something similar on our website in the future.

-jason r.
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Somebody please email me the generic form so that I can print it and have him sign it so I can post it.

My email address is detroitpua@yahoo.com

Thank you.

Thanks Rick for following up on this. I would like to bring Non-CPL holder(s) with me but am a little weary of doing so until I know they won't get jammed up by DPD for legally exercising their rights to self defense. If my hunch is correct, & I hope it is not, DPD will have a strong presence in the area. They (DPD) have been very anti-OC in the past.
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Warchild

I spoke to Brian today and he does have the permission form saved.
I believe he will post it here or email it to the OP.

Offline smellslikemichigan

• MOC Member

I don't see Scott's post, but I see Rob's about permission for non-CPL's.  Rob wasn't asking about yes/no from management on liquor license.  We assume they do have a liquor license, because they have a bar.  Rob was asking about yes/no on permission from owner/manager for non-CPL's to OC there.

Rick said "yes", but Jerry suggests (and I heartily agree) to have them sign the good generic form that Brian has.

scott623?  it's right up there at the top
"I like users who quote themselves in their signature lines." -smellslikemichigan