Author Topic: CADL v MOC Update - ANOTHER Hearing Date  (Read 5829 times)

Offline esq_stu

CADL v MOC Update - ANOTHER Hearing Date
« on: April 21, 2011, 01:36:55 PM »
CADL has filed a motion for Summary Disposition with the court. They are seeking a judgment even before the June hearing on the issues of preemption and brandishing. They want a ruling before the June hearing stating that:

1) The library is not preempted from regulating firearms; and
2) Open carry is brandishing as a matter of law.

The remaining issue at the June hearing would then focus mainly on the issue of whether the library is a "weapon free school zone."

Needless to say, counsel for MOC and MGO disagree with these positions and we'll be prepared to respond. 

The hearing on CADL's motion is scheduled for Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at 2:30 p.m.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
Re: CADL v MOC Update - ANOTHER Hearing Date
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 04:35:55 PM »
I guess that answers the question on the position of the CADL Board!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 06:59:12 PM »
I guess that answers the question on the position of the CADL Board!
I think that question was answered when they voted unanimously to keep the ban.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 06:59:53 PM »
I stopped by the Clerk's office this afternoon. I didn't see this motion in the file yet.

Offline METL

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 07:54:45 PM »
So what happens if Judge Aqualung rules OC is brandishing?  Of course that would be appealed, but what would happen in the meantime?

Offline emt805

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 08:41:11 PM »
How is it that they all fail to read the second part of the weapons free school zone that does not include CPL holders OCing in said "weapon free school zones"?

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 09:31:09 PM »
They need to get with the Gov. and try to keep open some of these libraries, so they keep reading. WE THE PEOPLE. Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 10:50:46 PM »
WHEREFORE, Plantiff CADL request that this honorable Court:
B. Determine that the open carrying of weapons by Defendants violates MCL 750.234e;
D. Grant Plaintiff CADL fees and costs in bringing this action, including reasonable attorney fees; and...

1. Interesting -- only the open carry of firearms by the "Defendants" (strange, I only see one name on the case, MOC, and as we discussed MOC is only a organization and not a real person and as such can't carry a paperclip, no less a handgun).  Since there is only one Defendant listed on the top of the case, why say "Defendants"?  Maybe they need grammar lessons?
2. It seems the DA's of Michigan (at least in Ingham County) won't have to try a case to make Open Carry illegal, CADL will do their dirty work for them.  If the judge so declares, LPD and Ingham County Sheriff could start arresting people for Open Carry...and Stuart Dunning (Ingham County DA) would have case law when seeking a conviction.

A few thoughts:
1. This is a fight we must win or possibly kiss open carry goodbye in Michigan.
2. This judge is scary.
3. If we lose, we must appeal (or kiss OC in MI Goodbye).  This will not be inexpensive.
4. If they win and we don't appeal, they want money out of us anyhow (part "D" of their Prayer)!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 11:02:54 PM by TheQ »

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 10:53:17 PM »
For those wanting to read:

Quote from: esq_stu
I have attached the Motion for Summary Disposition. As soon as I figure out how to compress the brief in support, I will post it. It is 1.93MP and the forum limit is 1.91MB.

The MGO site is balking (understandably) at my attempts to upload the brief. I will keep trying.

OK, Here is the Brief.   Brief in Support of Motion for Summary Judgment

Offline Big Gay Al

• MOC Member
  • Rock Island Armory 1911A1 FS Tactical .45 ACP
    • Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
  • First Name (Displayed): Al
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 04:39:26 AM »
Would I be correct in assuming that AG's Opinion 7101 on what is or is not brandishing, will be presented? 

As much as I'd love to be there, my son has to see the dentist that day.  :(
Big Gay Al
Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 08:31:07 AM »
all related documents can be found in PDF format at the top of the CADL info page on miopencarry.org at http://miopencarry.org/cadl as usual :)

-jason r.

ps, the thought that any laymen can understand they are public property and breaking the law and that they have the balls to ask for legal costs, financial relief, is absolutely astounding.  This library goes against everything I believe in as an American, everything the Constitution of the United States, and the Constitution of Michigan stand for.  I do not know how to properly express my disgust at the people governing this library.  I do not know how the Judge has let this completely unconstitutional act continue for so long, and I do not know how to fight it.

HOW MUCH MONEY ARE WE GOING SUE THE CADL FOR?
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 10:11:53 AM »
This has gone to far after my next 2 purchases (3-4) weeks. My next pay check (weekly) will be as a whole donated to this fund I think this could be a great idea one week of hard work and then donating it all to the fund (I need info on how to donate please).

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 10:30:54 AM »
This has gone to far after my next 2 purchases (3-4) weeks. My next pay check (weekly) will be as a whole donated to this fund I think this could be a great idea one week of hard work and then donating it all to the fund (I need info on how to donate please).

Thanks for the willingness to donate. You can learn how to donate here