Author Topic: Review on Holster - Blackhawk Serpa Level 2 Sportster  (Read 32344 times)

Offline Wardo

Review on Holster - Blackhawk Serpa Level 2 Sportster
« on: July 22, 2010, 11:22:09 PM »
Well, i got the Blackhawk Serpa Level 2 Sportster with the paddle, and LOVE IT already. 

Just for an idea of size and all, i carry a Beretta 92. 

*The paddle seems to take some stress off the belt line which is a plus. 
*It is adjustable on the paddle so you may change the angle of the weapon which is another great feature.   
*It has an adjustable trap, so you can customize how easy the draw is ( i have mine fairly loose and its still locked in there super tight )   
*the release button is very easy to control and while drawing i notice my finger is at the stand-by position along the slide.

No downsides yet, but will add any if found.   
-----------------------------------------------
God made man, Sam Colt made him equal!

Offline Advanced Security

Re: Review on Holster - Blackhawk Serpa Level 2 Sportster
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 11:40:12 AM »
Just a caution as with all serpa holsters, they eventually will scratch the gun.  I lined mine with a bit of fleece.  It's amazing what that can do for you. 

I'm glad you like it!

Jeff

Offline Wardo

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 01:23:57 PM »
Thats a great idea.  Did you line the entire inside or just specific areas?

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 04:55:22 PM »

Just specific areas.  Next time I do it though, I will do it a tad different.  I already had wear marks on the holster, so I could see where it was rubbing, then used fabric glue, and attached 2 narrow (1/2") strips of fleece.  Its eliminated everything on mine.  Not that the gun was loose before, but it had a little front to back (cant) play.  Not anymore, it's real solid.  Dang near silent coming out and in too.  If I were to do it again, I'd use a thinner fabric, I love the fleece, but I'd use thinner fleece.  I let mine dry over night before I fit my gun in it.  Also, before I glued it to the holster, I dry fitted it, to make sure it wasn't snagging anywhere odd.  When I do it again, the strips of fleece will extend all the way to the top of the holster, just for my peace of mind that they don't snag. 

I remove my gun VERY frequently.  This has cured almost everything I can think of.

Jeff

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 01:56:48 AM »

Just specific areas.

Could you elaborate on the areas?  Maybe include pictures? :)
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Bronson

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 03:41:52 AM »
Could you elaborate on the areas?  Maybe include pictures? :)

My Serpa put two lines on top of the slide, one of either side of the front sight.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline Wardo

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 07:03:04 AM »
Pictures would be great. 

TheQ, was it just the slide?  Can you show us the area so i can better understand where the danger is?  Dont wanna hurt my Retta.   :P

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 02:22:22 PM »
Pictures would be great. 

TheQ, was it just the slide?  Can you show us the area so i can better understand where the danger is?  Dont wanna hurt my Retta.   :P

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 02:24:40 PM »
Pictures would be great. 

Notice the plastic showing just above the fleece, I would've liked to extend it all the way to the top.  The frame of my gun, is plastic, so for me there was no other need to soften any surfaces.  If you're Berretta is steel, you may want to check out other places.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 12:17:09 AM »
My Serpa put two lines on top of the slide, one of either side of the front sight.
Bronson

Many thanks for the extra details and the pictures, kind sir.

Offline Wardo

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 07:31:02 AM »
Thank you sir, the picture helped a lot.   I will "attempt" to fix mine up this weekend.

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 11:30:43 AM »
Cool, good luck!

Need anything else, either PM me, or post here.  BTW, where in Clinton Twp, you at?

Jeff

Offline venator

• MOC Member
    • My Parents Open Carry book order
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 01:00:22 PM »
Perhaps black felt would work well.  Most craft stores have them in about 8x11 inch sheets.  Felt is just a processed wool.  The black would blend into the holster better.  Also you can also get small black leather sheets and cut to shape.
Family book on OPEN CARRY go to: http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/
Looking forward to having more smites than posts.  Thanks all.
The above are my opinions only.  Please seek an attorney concerning all questions of law.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 12:16:48 AM »
I just received my Blackhawk today.  I stopped by JoAnne's fabrics on the way home and bought a 10"x12" patch of (black) felt for $.28.  I also picked up some Liquid Stitch.

Before applying the material to the holster the weapon did have a fair amount of play back/forth.  I retrofitted it with the felt as described above.  All rocking ceased after fitting it with the fabric.  I have also attached a picture.

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 03:04:32 PM »
Looking good!  I love how it kills all that play.

I notice you have the paddle still attached, I have the belt loops, and like it well enough.  I hate having to take the paddle on and off though.  You like it?

Jeff

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 06:04:47 PM »
I notice you have the paddle still attached, I have the belt loops, and like it well enough.  I hate having to take the paddle on and off though.  You like it?

I like the paddle for the extra stability it gives.  It is a bit of a PITA as far as removal, but the only way to get the belt nearly that stable is to make said belt so tight it nearly cuts me in half.  The stability is worth the PITA, IMHO.

Offline Tango125INF11b

• I looked Death in the face, so what have you done?
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 01:25:32 PM »
I just returned my SERPA holster because you have to hit the button before lifting. If not, the button locks. Its a neat safety feature but I started competition shooting for IDPA and it takes A LOT of practice to clear the holster in a reasonable time. I bought a De Santis brown leather Mini Slide for my Glock, and it's wonderful. The cant isn't adjustable though, but I will live. Also a lot of competitions are banning the SERPA's now. Too many accidental/negligent discharges. I liked my SEPRA dont get me wrong, but weighing out my options I was better off getting rid of it.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Offline Bronson

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 01:33:35 PM »
Also a lot of competitions are banning the SERPA's now. Too many accidental/negligent discharges.

That's not the holster's fault, that's poor training and trigger finger discipline.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 01:51:37 PM »
Also a lot of competitions are banning the SERPA's now. Too many accidental/negligent discharges.

That's not the holster's fault, that's poor training and trigger finger discipline.

Bronson

Amen!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Tango125INF11b

• I looked Death in the face, so what have you done?
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 02:38:49 PM »
One of the MagPul guys, who is very trained, and has good enough discipline IMO, had an ND while trying to draw in a defensive pistol demonstration. This guy has had more training than me on the SERPA, and is specifically trained on the SERPA. If it can happen to him, it can happen to anybody. Like I said, I had a SERPA until today when I took it back. I don't feel like being "that guy" on the range, lol.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum