Author Topic: Lansing Illegal firearm ordinances  (Read 15349 times)

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
  • First Name (Displayed): Tyler
Lansing Illegal firearm ordinances
« on: August 29, 2010, 11:59:27 PM »
This has been discussed in private amongst a few Lansing area members for a few weeks now,City attorney and Chief of police were made aware of said ordinances over a month ago,several calls and emails from various persons have also been submitted,no calls or emails have been returned.

Lansing usually has city council meetings on Monday at either 7pm or 7:30,city hall building(which is a supposed PFZ,even if OC with a CPL)

696.03.  Transportation of firearms in motor vehicles.
No person shall transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle a firearm, unless the firearm is unloaded and is one or more of the following:
(a)   Taken down;
(b)   Enclosed in a case;
(c)   Carried in the trunk of the vehicle; and/or
(d)   Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.
(Ord. No. 739, 12-22-86)

696.05.  Weapons on college campuses and buildings.
No regularly enrolled student, guest or other person shall have in his or her possession on any college campus or in any college building, either concealed or not concealed, any rifle, shotgun, revolver, knife, fire bomb, explosive or any other dangerous weapon or ordnance.
(Ord. No. 739, 12-22-86)

696.06.  Machines dispensing ammunition or explosives.
No person shall display for public patronage or keep for operation any machine or device which dispenses or vends cartridges, bullets, shotgun shells or similar articles of an explosive nature and capable of being used in firearms.

Those are the illegal ordinances,though the 3rd one i am a little unsure of,there might be a fed law regarding bullet vending machines.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc, any other organization, group, person or the law of this or any other municipality,state or country unless otherwise stated.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Re: Lansing Illegal firearm ordinances
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 12:03:51 AM »
On 8/19 I emailed the following concerning this after freak brought this to my attention:

• The City Attorney
  • Chief of Lansing PD
  • The Mayor's office
  • The City Council

To date I have heard back from none of them.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 12:07:36 AM »
I met in person with the Chief of police the last week of July i believe it was,then stopped in at they city attorney office,left his assistant with the ordinance#'s in question,and the MCL which voided them,as well as my contact information.
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc, any other organization, group, person or the law of this or any other municipality,state or country unless otherwise stated.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 12:08:28 AM »
This ordinance is found here  696.02 is also clearly illegal.

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 12:44:56 AM »
technically,696.02 is not illegal.

696.02.  Carrying weapons in public places.
No person shall carry any firearm, air rifle, bow and arrow, slingshot, crossbow or other dangerous weapon in any public place, subject to the following exceptions:
(a)   When it is in a case and is not loaded;
(b)   In the case of a bow or crossbow, when it is unstrung or encased, or when it is being carried under the direct supervision of authorized public recreational personnel; or
(c)   Where and as otherwise permitted by State law.
(Ord. No. 739, 12-22-86)

It is just purposely confusing.

If(and probably when) we attend a city council meeting,we could push for it to be revoked because it is rather useless anyways,i would like to see this one modified too:

696.01.  Discharging weapons.
(a)   No person shall fire or shoot any firearm, air gun, spring gun, bow and arrow, slingshot, crossbow or other dangerous weapon in any street or public place, or fire or shoot such a weapon in any place in a manner that would endanger, or be likely to endanger, any person or property, subject to the following exception(s):
A person who is an authorized participant in an approved recreational shooting program under the authority of the Lansing Police Department or Department of Parks and Recreation may use any of the following:
(1)   Bows and arrows, and
(2)   Crossbows.

I believe that air guns,spring guns and slingshots should be given an exception for recreational shooting programs as well,i doubt there would be much opposition to that request.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 12:48:24 AM by lil_freak_66 »

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 07:10:58 AM »
I did a term paper on the Second Amend. and i discovered in my research that MSU is the only school that has carrying allowed on campus. The only one of the fifteen universities in the state.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 08:12:51 AM »
I did a term paper on the Second Amend. and i discovered in my research that MSU is the only school that has carrying allowed on campus. The only one of the fifteen universities in the state.

...just don't carry a knife.

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 12:41:59 PM »

...just don't carry a knife.

+1

Violation of MSU ordinance 18.01 is not a fun thing....

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 01:39:09 PM »
I called the chief today regarding our attempts to contact her and the city to correct these laws. She said there had been some internal traffic in the matter. She was going to follow up on that and call me back.

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 10:56:40 PM »
Has she gotten ahold of you again?

If not,probably best to start planning a meet at the city council meetings.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 01:00:03 AM »

Nein.  I'll defer to Venator on when/if to meet.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 01:01:01 AM »

Nein.  I'll defer to Venator on when/if to meet.

She did write back last Monday to say that she's contacted the city attorney and he's looking into it.  Nothing since.

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 07:50:25 PM »
Me and TheQ were downtown filing an IA complaint(its not firearm related,dont worry) today and a few things were found out while i talked with the chief of police,and when we both went to the city attorney office.

Chief szysmanski (sp?) said she hasnt heard anything at all from the city attorney regarding this,since our initial contact with them.

According to the City attorney's assistant,he hasnt had much of a chance to review it and will get around to it whenever,she refused to give us an estimate on when we would even hear anything back.

City of Lansing is dragging they're feet...

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 11:45:49 PM »
According to the City attorney's assistant,he hasnt had much of a chance to review it and will get around to it whenever,she refused to give us an estimate on when we would even hear anything back.

City of Lansing is dragging they're feet...

She said there was a staff person working on it and she didn't have an estimate on time for completion.  I asked her if she could look into it and send me an email with a reasonable expectation.  She agreed.  I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 12:27:36 AM »
Ah,i didnt hear her say that,is that what the thing about email was for?

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 07:54:19 AM »
Ah,i didnt hear her say that,is that what the thing about email was for?

Yeah, though I get the feeling she was paying my lip service.  I'll be surprised if I actually get an email.  That office hasn't struck me as being good at follow up.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 05:54:56 PM »
Yeah, though I get the feeling she was paying my lip service.  I'll be surprised if I actually get an email.  That office hasn't struck me as being good at follow up.

I must give credit where it is due.  The City attorney's office responded -- kind of.  I don't think we'll be getting much more than this as the city is not legally REQUIRED by preemption to remove laws already on the books when the State law passed.  They are merely prohibited from enforcing them.  We can try to lobby the city to remove the ordinances, but it's anyone's prediction on how successful we'd be.

Date: Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 4:47 PM
Subject: City Ordinances 696.03 and 696.05
To: <redacted> (Venator)
Cc: Jerry Ambrose <jambrose@lansingmi.gov>, Randy Hannan <rhannan@lansingmi.gov>, Teresa Szymanski <tszymanski@lansingmi.gov>

Mr. <redacted>--

Please allow this e-mail to memorialize the City's position on the questions you, Mr. <redacted>, and Mr. <redacted> have raised regarding City Ordinances 696.03 and 696.05, especially regarding the effect of state law on them.  The Office of the City Attorney (OCA) has advised the Lansing Police Department that to the extent these ordinances have been superseded by state statute, they are of no force or effect and should not be enforced.  I reiterate that opinion to you.

The City has no immediate plans to amend the identified ordinances as the superseded portions have no legal force.  In similar contexts, the OCA has opined that superseded ordinances need not be uncodified as they are of no legal effect.

I understand that Mr. <redacted> stopped by my office this afternoon to follow up on this issue.  I was in meetings at the time and unable to break from them before he apparently had to leave.  I would appreciate it if you would pass along this e-mail to him as well.

--Brig

Brig Smith
City Attorney
Office of the City Attorney
City of Lansing
124 West Michigan Ave.
Lansing Michigan 48933
http://www.lansingmi.gov/attorney
(517) 483-4320 tel
(517) 483-4081 fax

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 06:03:57 PM »
I personally think we should lobby for them to be removed.

Didnt we bring up like 4 or 5 ordinances too?he only mentioned 2 of them.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 06:41:56 PM »
Didnt we bring up like 4 or 5 ordinances too?he only mentioned 2 of them.

I think Venator's original email only mentioned 2.

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 07:49:09 PM »
I know that i mentioned at least 3 to them,and requested modifications to the others.